Saturday, February 5, 2011

It's World Nutella Day!

Five years ago, Sara Rossi, of Ms. Adventures in Italy baked up the idea of World Nutella Day and since then countless recipes have been shared for using Nutella in recipes.  I absolutely loved the idea of celebrating this day with fellow Nutella addicts the world over and have faithfully celebrated. 

For my recipe this year, I wanted to make something that took me back to Gelatoria Mario's in Bologna, a regular stop for my cohort of International "crime", Holly, and I.  I'm sure that there were many fabulous things to try at Mario's, but on my first visit there on a warm August day in 1988, I ordered a frappe' of gianduja e coco (chocolate hazelnut and coconut milkshake) and I never ordered anything but that again.  I even brought Keith there 6 years later and made him order one, too. 

And because I wanted to kick off my day with Nutella, I decided to make these:

Coco Loco Nutella  Rolls
1 loaf frozen bread dough - thawed overnight in the frig (or make your own if you have time prefer)
About 1 cup Nutella (or more to your liking)
1/2 cup coconut
2 Tablespoons milk

Roll out the the dough on a well-floured surface into a 12x9 rectangle.  Spread with Nutella, but leave about an inch uncovered on one of the long sides. 




Sprinkle the coconut on top.


Roll up starting from the long side that has filling spread to the edge.  Pinch the dough to seal the seam.  Slice into 9 pieces.  Arrange on a GREASED baking sheet and cover. 




Let rise until almost double in size (about 45 minutes).

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Bake them for 15-20 minutes or until golden.  Mine were apparently having a little party in the oven while I was cleaning up...



While they cool, make the icing:
1/3 - 1/2 cup nutella and 2 Tablespoons milk mixed together.  Add more milk if needed for drizzling consistency.

Drizzle the rolls with the icing and serve warm.


Buon Appetito!

Want to join in the fun?  Check out Ms. Adventures In Italy, Bleeding Expresso, and World Nutella Day!

1 comment: