Monday, October 12, 2009

National Cookie Month!

My friend, Lori, informed me via her blog , that October is National Cookie Month! She has posted a few yummy cookie recipes, and I told her that I would play along on my blog, too. That was back on October 3rd, I think... Well, better late than never to get started!
Here are some of my favorite cookies to make (and eat!) in October: Pumkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Walnut Icing. I make an exception for these as there is no chocolate in them (although mini chips might be yummy, hmmmm...) because they are THAT good anyway! Thankfully, the majority of these went to a Fall Harvest Party we attended on Saturday night cause I really need to stop eating like I'm still on the Cruise...



Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Walnut Frosting

2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup) softened,

2/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar

1/3 c. sugar

1 c. (8 oz.) canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)

1 egg

1 tspn. vanilla

2 c. all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tspn. pumpkin pie spice

1 tspn. baking powder

1 tspn. baking soda

1/4 tspn. salt

Frosting:

2 cups powdered sugar

1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened

3 oz. cream cheese, softened

1 tspn. vanilla

1/4 tspn. pumpkin pie spice

Walnut pieces

Heat ove to 350F. Combine butter, brown sugar, and sugar in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often til creamy. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed. Add flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and soda, and salt. Beat until well mixed.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I use a melon baller) Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool Completely.

Combine all frosting ingredients except walnut pieces in medium bowl Beat at low speed until smooth. Frost cooled cookies and garnish with walnuts.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies depending on how much batter you eat....

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Those look so good!! I printed the recipe. Tomorrow I'm baking Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.

    Still counting calories and it is such a pain in the rear! My blood work report tells me I have high cholesterol. I found out that walnuts are a cholesterol lowing food. YES!!!

    ReplyDelete